Sunday, January 3, 2010

Random Thoughts for the Day

First off let me start by saying thank you to The Happy Medic for taking the time to give me a little bit of advice about this blogging thing, and even making it a point to comment on this "up and comers" little slice of heaven. If you haven't seen his site make it one of your goals of the day, http://www.happymedic.com.

With that little plug in for my new friend, I have come to realize that this blog is quickly becoming a form of therapy for me. While I love the jobs I do, let's face it, there's all the "BS" stuff we have to deal with too, and it's been hard for me to find a way to deal with that, until now. I hope that this will be a means to "vent" as well as educate.

The reason that I decided to call this blog The Public "Servant" is because sometimes that's how I truly feel the public views us. I enjoy helping people, and I genuinely cannot see myself in an other career area, but the public has been trained (wrongly, I feel sometimes) to call us for anything. Medical alarms, fires, MVA's. these are givens. But I'm sorry ma'am, I'm not a plumber. I can't fix your pipes, for free or for a fee. No sir, I don't no anything about why your "big block engine" won't turn over.

I can even overlook these aspects, but the one thing, above all else, that absolutely causes me to grit my teeth more than all the others, is when someone tells me "Your taking me to the hospital because you HAVE to." This is when I feel more like a slave than anything else. There is someone having a heart attack 4 streets over, but they are going to have to wait for a further ambulance because I HAVE to take you to the hospital when you won't even tell me why. As least give me a reason.

Like I said, I do love my job.

Serve On,
The Public "Servant"

UPDATE: The Public "Servant" is now on Twitter. Follow along @publicservantpa

1 comment:

  1. Blogging is therapy. Sometimes just putting that Bad Call into something tangible seems to be the salve that helps heal the wound. I started my blog a few years ago, write now and then, but when I do I always feel a little sense of closure.

    That said, keep it up! Write for you, write for your readers, write for no one at all. Just write!

    ReplyDelete